05 January, 2013

Love and Basketball

"The same streets that raised you, can age you..." - Common - U, Black Maybe

Sports are a metaphor of our everyday lives. It's the reason why some people will defend their teams tooth and nail, or an athlete will push themselves to become the best they can be. My first love was and always will be basketball. Even now long after my playing days, I still find joy in the game that taught me a wealth of life lessons.

Live and Learn

A picture is worth 1,000-words, and while I'm not going to write that many things about the photo above, allow me if you will to shed some light on the subject. When Kobe Bryant declared for the NBA, he unexpectedly received a ton of backlash and hatred. Everyone felt that a 17-year old wasn't able to make such a bold decision, and that he should attend a major college or university like most high school graduates.

Bryant remained determined and on June 26, 1996, he was selected with the 13th-overall pick. Five-years later the Lakers defeated the 76ers in Philadelphia, and not only was Kobe right in following his heart, he emerged an NBA champion, to silence his critics.

As I look at the image, it reminds me to be totally honest with myself and everyone around me, stay the course, and remember that sports have and will continue to take me far.

I'm thankful for the game, the experiences, and the people it has bought my way.

Life is good.


Words: @axgilbert

Photo: Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE

No comments: