25 December, 2012

The Beginning

"Now once upon a time, not too long ago..." - Jay-Z - 99 Problems

I've always had a passion for basketball. My older brother introduced me to the game, as he would often bring me to the playground while he would hoop for hours. Since I was younger and didn't understand the game...I was drawn to it by default. 

You always want what you can't have.

Solace

Once I learned the basic fundamentals, I never looked back. The sport has taken me far, as it continues to challenge and teach me about hard work, perseverance, and dedication.

Recently I was on Twitter congratulating the Lakers on a victory...when none other than Andre Iguodala wrote me back saying that I should learn to cheer for my hometown Philadelphia 76ers. I was surprised to say the least, and I defended myself by saying that I'm a Kobe fan...who is also a native of west Philly. Nevertheless, in the days following that exchange, I felt bad for not being a big advocate of the Sixers. 

Iguodala had a valid point, and today as we texted one another a Merry Christmas I thanked him for speaking his mind.

I'm always going to cheer for Bryant, but it's about time I pay closer attention to the home team in the Wells Fargo Center.

Words: @axgilbert

Picture: Associated Press

No comments: